[adegenet-forum] sPCA to infer dispersal

Rob Denton denton.66 at osu.edu
Tue May 13 19:07:56 CEST 2014

Fellow adegenet users,

I am currently exploring using adegenet to quantify dispersal in a
polyploid salamander. Because of its ploidy (3n), more traditional software
for genetic assignments (such as geneclass, Bayesass) are not helpful.

I understand that the the local eigenvectors constructed in a sPCA
summarize local patterns in genetic data, but I'm trying to understand if
any aspect of this procedure can act to infer dispersal. These animals are
associated with discreet ponds, so there exists an *a priori* population
assignment. Can I interpret those local eigenvalues as proxies for
dispersal?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Rob Denton