[adegenet-forum] confusing p value in mantel test

Vojtěch Zeisek vojta at trapa.cz
Mon Jun 23 14:58:17 CEST 2014

Hello

Dne St 18. června 2014 11:45:00, Kelly Bennett napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
> I have run a mantel test with the following code
>
> dna <- read.dna(file = "dna_manteltest.fasta", format = "fasta")
> dna.dists <- dist(dna, method = "euclidean")

Why do You use function dist() and not dist.dna() (package APE) having various
mutations models? IMHO, Euclidean distance is not the best for nucleotide
data, I'd use it for fragmentation data, but not here.

> as.matrix(dna.dists)[1:5, 1:5]
> geo <- read.csv(file = "geo_matrix.csv")
> geo[1:2, 1:2]
> geo.dists <- dist(geo, method = "euclidean")
> as.matrix(geo.dists)[1:5, 1:5]
> mantelresult<-mantel.rtest(dna.dists, geo.dists, nrepet = 9999)
> cor.test(geo.dists, dna.dists)
> plot(mantelresult <- mantel.rtest(dna.dists, geo.dists), main = "Mantel's
> test") mantelresult
>
> From my plot it looks like there should be isolation by distance and a
> correlation test shows a significant association but my p value for the
> Monte Carlo test = 1
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about this contradiction? I have attached the
> plot to this email

Well, it will produce some result every time You give it some data, even if
they are wrongly used. Right now it might be the case.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Kelly

Sincerely,
Vojtěch

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
http://trapa.cz/en/

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science
Charles University in Prague
Benátská 2, Prague, 12801, CZ
http://botany.natur.cuni.cz/en/

Institute of Botany, Academy of Science