[adegenet-forum] set.seeds in DAPC

Caitlin Collins caitiecollins at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 02:32:04 CEST 2014

Hi Manuela,

Glad to hear I could help a bit!

I should stress that our use of set.seed() in the tutorial has been mainly
for the purpose of making the tutorial, as a document, consistent and
identically reproducible. In an experimental context, however, eg. in the
case of selecting supplementary individuals, if you are truly attempting to
test a concept (for example, in validating a model), you would actually
*want* random behaviour (ie. an effectively random sample). This is
particularly the case if you are performing repeated sampling, as one often
does with supplementary individuals. So be careful to only set the seed
when you do NOT want a random sample; otherwise, just leave out set.seed()
from the process and let the computer pick a sample at random.

Best,
Caitlin.