[adegenet-forum] rda/dbMEM vs sPCA

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 12:40:15 CET 2014

Hi Xavier,

the approaches are close but not identical.

You description of sPCA is accurate, and shows that it is very different from a RDA on MEMs. The first decomposes a product of variance and autocorrelation, the second maximises the variance explained by the MEMs.

The similarity is in the global/local tests, which indeed rely on the (full) decomposition of the data onto the MEMs basis. By definition, the R2 of this decomposition is 1. The test statistic we use there is the highest R2 with a single MEM. This is what explains that the test itself lacks power: we only capture spatial structures which resemble at least one of the MEMs.