[adegenet-forum] compoplot, STRUCTURE, and the analysis of a hybrid zone

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 16:12:40 CET 2013

Hi Stefano,

thanks for reposting on the forum. It gives me the chance to clarify an important point.

For the first point, there is not a linear relationship between 'stability' of DAPC results and the number of PCs retained in the PCA step. 'xxx' PCs can represent 2% of the variance in one analysis and 60% in another. If the two data table have fairly comparable dimensions, it would be best to retain roughly the same proportion of variance. If their dimensions are very different, then the same number of PCs makes sense.

STRUCTURE or similar approaches have a model which partitions genotypes into groups. It is basically a mixture distribution problem with a multinomial distribution for each locus and group. So the 'admixture' coefficient has a a straightforward biological interpretation.

In DAPC, assignment of individuals to groups using the discriminant functions are based on a geometric criteria. In other words, "tell me where you are in the discriminant space, I will tell you the probability that you belong to groups xxx, yyy and zzz". This is of course dependent on the discriminant space. The more dimensions retained in the PCA step, the easier it is the find a space providing perfect discrimination. The obtained group membership probabilities can reflect admixture, but they do not represent the proportion of the genome assigned to a given group. In your case, use a smaller space, you may start seeing less clear-cut group definition. optim.a.score may help selecting the number of PCs.

Cheers

Thibaut.