[adegenet-forum] Population clustering idea

valeria montano mirainoshojo at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:18:21 CEST 2011

Hi all

I think one of the most importance differences to consider when comparing
Fst with DAPC is about the way a pop is defined. The link Vladimir sent
about the use in molecular anthropology of previously labelled pops is a
really good example of a non-genetic based approach of pops definition,
which as such probably implies erroneous assumptions by default
(unfortunately for me I have collected some experience with that). On the
contrary, starting from individuals to infer which is the best number of
clusters (can we then say pops, maybe?) based on the allelic variance
optimization is definitely better, at least is genetics. Once this is done,
a "pops tree" obtained with an Fst or a DAPC would probably result quite
similar (without forgetting that the variance decomposition is differently
interpreted by the two approaches as explained by Thibaut and amke different
assumptions as stated by Vladimir). But I've never tested it actually...

In general, I guess the clusters could be regarded as pops, but this
is presumably quite far from defining panmictic groups. So, biologically
speaking, I don't know what's the best way to consider the clusters. That
would be great to have a method to define panmictic groups without needing
to test an explicit biological model...but clustering is really useful.

Best regards

Valeria