[adegenet-forum] Combining mtDNA and Nuclear Data for find.clusters() and DAPC

Jombart, Thibaut t.jombart at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 15:11:57 CEST 2011

Hello,

to combine these data, you can use scaleGen to get scaled allele frequencies and then use cbind to obtain one general matrix.

The more concerning problem is that you may be merging information of different nature by doing so. Also, it is likely that the results will mainly be driven by the dataset with the most variability. That may be fine ("I want to take the information where it is.") or not ("I want both types of data to contribute equally to the analysis"), depending on what you want to do.

I would advise at least checking that the analysis done on the entire dataset matches the results of the separate analyses. Running two separate PCAs and checking for similarities between them using coinertia analysis (function coinertia in ade4) should also be useful.

All the best

Thibaut