[Traminer-users] Variance of a sequence

Niek Frans N.Frans at student.rug.nl
Thu Jan 23 12:23:30 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

This is probably a very simple question, but I've spend a couple of hours
trying to find the answer without any luck, so I thought it try it here.

I'm trying to explain the Turbulence measure by Elzinga, but I'm stuck
trying to compute the variance of the state-duration for the sequence.
Could anyone explain how the variance of a sequence is calculated? I know
it has something to do with the sequence length and the consecutive length
of remaining in one state, but I can't find the exact formula anywhere.

Kind regards,

Niek