[Traminer-users] how to sort a sequence plot (seqIplot) by more than one variable

Joel Schwartz joel at joelschwartz.com
Tue Jul 17 15:25:12 CEST 2012

Hi Alexis,

I tried your suggestion and for some reason it's not working, even when I create a sorting variable that uses a single variable to sort on. Here's what I did:

# Original version, which works fine. See first attached file below, which shows plot is clearly sorted by f09as.
seqIplot(df.seq09, border = NA, withlegend = "right", sortv=df09$f09as)

# Create sorting variable
term.sort = order(df09$f09as)

# Create plot again, using sorting variable. This version of the plot is unsorted. See second attached file.
seqIplot(df.seq09, border = NA, withlegend = "right", sortv=term.sort)

I checked the sorting variable by looking at what it does to the original data frame and it looked exactly like it should, so the sorting variable doesn't seem to have a problem. Here's the command I used for that: df09[order(df09$f09as), ]

Any idea what could be going wrong? If it would help to look at the sequence object or data.frame I'm working with, I can send those.

Thanks again,
Joel