[Traminer-users] Using transition rates as substitution costs

Alexis Gabadinho Alexis.Gabadinho at unige.ch
Tue Jan 11 16:15:42 CET 2011

Hi Antoine,

While the TRANSITION RATE between state A and B can be different than
the transition rate between state B and A, the SUBSTITUTION COST sc(A,B)
between the two states is computed so as to be symmetric using the formula:

sc(A,B)=sc(B,A)= 2 - p(A | B) - p( B | A)

where p(A | B) is the TRANSITION RATE between A and B and p(B | A)  is
the TRANSITION RATE between B and A. Hence, the substitution costs are
the same.

I hope this answers your question ?

Alexis