[Traminer-users] does it apply to amino acid sequences ?

Alexis Gabadinho Alexis.Gabadinho at unige.ch
Wed Feb 23 10:09:45 CET 2011

Dear Gilles,

I guess you can use many tools in the TraMineR package to analyse DNA
sequences. At least you can try, we are very much interested in such
application that could help us to improve the package.

I imagine that one important difference between social science and DNA
sequences is their length. We usually use TraMineR with sequences having
at most several hundred of states, and I guess that you will have to set
a high graphical resolution if you want to use the tools for
visualization of sequences containing several thousand of amino acids.

The tools for - pairwise - sequence alignment will work fine (however,
you cannot visualize pairwise sequence alignments at this time, but we
have a function under development for this purpose). Multiple sequence
alignment is not available at this time.

You can also handle sequences that do not start at the same position by
using missing values.

If you give a try to TraMineR, let us know!

Salutations,
Alexis.