[Traminer-users] dissmfac coefficients

Matthias Studer Matthias.Studer at unige.ch
Thu Aug 26 15:21:13 CEST 2010

Hello,

As in regression, you should not experience too much collinearity
problems. However, in case of strong multicollinearity, you may
experience computational problem (as in multiple regression).

Please consider the following example:
## Defining a state sequence object
data(mvad)
mvad.seq <- seqdef(mvad[, 17:86])

## Building dissimilarities
mvad.lcs <- seqdist(mvad.seq, method="LCS")
print(dissmfac(mvad.lcs ~ Grammar +    gcse5eq, data=mvad, R=1000))

The result wil be:

   Variable  PseudoF   PseudoR2 p_value
1  Grammar 21.86726 0.02595961       0
2  gcse5eq 90.87825 0.10788564       0
3    Total 67.27347 0.15950143       0

The "total " pseudo-R2 (last line) tells us that the full model
"explain" around 16% of the discrepancy of the sequence.

The pseudo-R2 computed for each covariate can be interpreted as the loss
of explanatory power if this covariate is removed from the full model.
If we remove the gcse5eq covariate, the R2 of the model decreases by 0.108.

A more in depth presentation (as well as formulae) may be found in this
article (section 5):
http://mephisto.unige.ch/pub/publications/gr/Studer_akdm_2010.pdf

Hence, in your case, the pseudo R2 of 3.68E-02 for exper3 tells you that
the R2 of your model will decreases by 3.68E-02 if your remove the
exper3 covariate (but keep exper1, exper2, exper4, expert5...). exper7
is significant, hence it add a valuable information to the full model
(although less than expert1).

Did I answer your question ?

Matthias