[tlocoh-info] Using T-LoCo to look at spatial and temporal avoidance between individuals

Andy Lyons lyons.andy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 09:46:47 CEST 2015

Hi Nalani,

Yes you have an interesting study. The interactions between individuals
are at the center of a lot of important questions, and I think there's a
growing interest in using tracking data to look at interaction. Home
range overlap, which Minta's (1992) method builds off of, seems like a
good place to start. You can certainly compute home range overlap in
T-LoCoH (for details see Measuring area of intersection for isopleths
<http://tlocoh.r-forge.r-project.org/tips_faqs.html>). T-LoCoH has a bit
more flexibility than other home methods because it allows you to define
a home range along a number of gradients (such as revisitation rate or
directionality), which could be useful in intersection studies depending
on the question.

I believe the analysis of interactions from movement data is an area
where more research is needed. Techniques that are based on the
intersection of home ranges and UDs wash away the temporal dynamics that
questions like yours are interested in. I present in chapter 6 of my
dissertation
<http://www.andylyons.org/files/lyons_2012_multi-optic-conservation_2012-12-14.pdf>
some preliminary ideas for using hulls themselves (not isopleths) to
characterize the spatiotemporal dynamics of two individuals, which might
be of interest.

Best,
Andy