[tlocoh-info] WG: nsv and mnlv

Andy Lyons lyons.andy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 05:25:18 CEST 2014

Hi Julia,

That's a good question, and probably very common as many GPS devices are
programmed to go to sleep during certain intervals to save battery
power. I don't think the omission of night time locations would cause
much of a problem in terms of generating a space use model with T-LoCoH
per say, but it would affect what you can claim about your space use
model (including the 'homerange' which is a subset or product of a space
use model).

First thing to note is that when there is no sampling at night, the
estimated utilization distribution (isopleths) should be interpreted as
the UD of the sampled data, and not necessarily the individual as a
whole. Take for example a dataset where the sampling is once an hour
during the day, but the GPS unit goes to sleep from 6pm to 6am. Now
consider a nest, where the individual was recorded at 6pm, and again at
6am, because it never moved during the night. If the goal is to
construct a utilization distribution that represents the overall
relative intensity of habitat use, then that nest should really be
represented by 13 locations, not 2. So we couldn't claim a space-use
model generated from those data represent that, but what we can say more
confidently is that the isopleths generated from our data represent how
space is used during the day, and that based on our knowledge of the
species, the overall pattern of space use will be encompassed in the day
time space use (although that may not be true for all species). Whether
or not that more conservative claim about our analysis is an issue for
the study as a whole depends on the research question. If our research
question only requires an outline of the core area (50% isopleth), or
the 'homerange' (95% isopleth), and the gradient of use within the core
or homerange doesn't really matter, then this is probably not that big
of a deal. On the other hand if we're going to feed our UD into another
level of analysis where the gradient of the intensity of use matters,
for example a parameter estimation for a resource selection function or
volume intersection with another UD, then the omission of night time
points might be more of a deal breaker.

Secondly, if you are generating time-use metrics (nsv and mnlv), you
certainly wouldn't want the intervisit gap period to be shorter than the
period the device was programmed to go to sleep, otherwise it would
appear as though a stationary individual (in the extreme case, dead) was
making multiple visits to the nest, when in fact it hadn't moved at all.
Does that make sense?

If the omission of night time points is a deal-breaker for your
analysis, you could potentially model the missing data (i.e., insert
fake nightime points) based upon the assumption that the individual
didn't move during the night. T-LoCoH doesn't have a function to do
this, but it wouldn't be hard to make one. You could also test whether
the insertion of fake points is reasonable or not by computing the
distance between the last location of each day and the first location of
the following day, and see if indeed the distances are actually close to
zero.

Hope this helps. I invite others to chime in, as these are issues that
affect not just T-LoCoH but any kind of space-use modeling method.

Andy