[Rspatial-devel] SpatialLinesDataFrame with z-axis

Kent Johnson kent3737 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 04:04:09 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, Kent Johnson wrote:
>
> Hi,
>>
>> I am working with spatial line data which has three axes - lat, lon and
>> altitude and metadata for each line. I would love to have something like a
>> SpatialLines3DDataFrame.
>>

> Why? Love isn't appropriate here - you need a use case.

OK. I would find it helpful to have a data structure to represent tracks in
three dimensions with associated metadata. My data is airplane tracks from
KML files and direct recording of flight data. Some useful operations:
- Plot the tracks on a map using leaflet.
- Find distance from each point in the track to a fixed point on the ground
- Plot distance from a fixed point vs altitude
- Find the point of closest approach to a fixed point on the ground
- Find the altitude at point of closest approach
- Associate attributes with each track such as flight number, departure
time, nearest waypoint, etc.
All of the above using collections of 200-300 tracks.

Have you looked at SpatialMultiPoints (as altitude could be an attribute at
> a line segent end point, or a coordinate)?

SpatialMultiPointsDataFrame looks promising, thanks for the pointer.

> Please use R-sig-geo for all contact - this list is only used by
> developers.

OK I will use that list in the future.

Kent