[Rprotobuf-yada] [protobuf] 2.2.0a release -- fixes SONAME

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Nov 19 17:13:30 CET 2009

On 19 November 2009 at 08:07, Romain François wrote:
| Just seen this on the protobuf mailing list. Should we do anything about
| it ?

I was squarely in the middle of this.  See Debian bug report 556563 for
details.

You and I need to do nothing. I uploaded a new package to Debian and we have
to wait for that to reach testing so that Kurt has it.

The only change was the SONAME bump. I noticed that they hadn't done, but
wrongly thought it was on purpose. So 'my' 2.2.0 packages broken users of the
2.1.0 package leading to the bug report, and to someone (correctly!!)
pointing at Google / talking to Kenton who promptly responded. Quite
impressive.   You don't even need to rebuild your lib unless you plan to keep
both 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 binaries around/

Nice work on the one-page vignette, by the way. Thanks for that fix.

Dirk