[Reddyproc-users] REddyProc 0.8.2

Thomas Wutzler twutz at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Fri Apr 29 08:21:43 CEST 2016

Dear Ladislav, Antje and Mirco,

Thanks for your thorough look at our package.
I start to answer your questions.

> 1) I noticed the ustar filtering is not removing halfhours when ustar is
> missing. I would say the conservative approach would be to remove the
> halfhours because they are compromised. I will solve it by removing the
> NEE halfhours in input file. Would you implement this as part of ustar
> filtering in future version of REddyProc?
The current procedure corresponds to the directive to the user: "Low
quality or invalid values, that should not be used during the
processing, should be set to -9999 beforehand."

I will discuss with the EddyProc team:
"Should we do a quality check before and automatically set NEE to
missing for awkward rows?"

Questions 2, 3, 4, 7
are best answered by developer Antje Moffat.

> 5) Only a minor issue is with the custom seasonFactor specification in
> vignette("DEGebExample"). Centering of timestamp by 15 min shift is
> implemented only within EddyProc.C object, therefore
> DEGebExample$DateTime should be manually corrected by user.
You are correct. I will update the Example and the documentation of
usCreateSeasonFactor methods.
Also the
> seasonFactor marks the season starting from midnight, not noon.
> Therefore seasonStartsDate should be created by fConvertTimeToPosix(...,
> Hour = 0.25).
Thanks, fixed the Example.

> 6) What is the difference between isUsingCPT and isUsingCPTSeveralT in
> usControlUstarEst()? SeveralT takes the same (default 7) temperature
> classes as Moving point test? But then I would expect there would be
> only one ustar threshold estimate for all temperature classes when using
> isUsingCPT which is not the case when I check the plots from
> sPlotNEEVersusUStarForSeason(). Which CPT implementation is prefered?
>     - It also seems it is possible to set both isUsingCPT and
> isUsingCPTSeveralT = TRUE
Because we experimented quite a lot with adding the CPT afterwards, the
code is not clean here, and parameterization and output are still
adjusted to the original Moving point method instead.

isUsingCPT:
only change is that for each temperature subset, change point detection
is used instead of the Moving point detection.
This is only provided for comparing methods. I will note this in the help.

isUsingCPTSeveralT:
Since there are more records per subsets of data, if binning due to
uStar is omitted, more and narrower temperature classes can be used
(specifically 3L*ctrlUstarSub.l$taClasses - 3L), by default 18 instead
of 7. Furthermore, the subsetting into different temperature classes is
repeated for different classification (3 to 18 subsets) to diversify the
threshold estimates. You get 18+17+16+... estimates to average.
If it is set to TRUE, the isUsingCPT option has no effect.
If you want to use ChangePointDetection, this is the recommend option.

> 8) What is the significance of OT using 200 bootstraps instead of
> default 100?
This is not intended.  I will fix it.
When developing the package we reduced the default when we decided to
use the 90% percentiles instead of the 95% by default. We forgot to
adapt the online tool.

> 9) Why is the OT definition of seasons using startMonth = c(2, 5, 8, 11)
> instead of default startMonth = c(3, 6, 9, 12)?
This is a bug. I will fix it.
When developing we changed the numbering of the month starting from 0 to
starting from 1. But we forgot to change it in the online tool.

> 10) Could you please comment why you give preference to 'uStar' estimate
> (without bootstrapping) instead of 50% (median) ustar threshold
> (resulting from bootstrapping)? I would assume 50% (median) ustar
> threshold should be more robust.
uStar is based on the original dataset. This helps comparison to runs
that did not bootstrapping. We think this will be more relevant to the
user. I agree that the median is more robust. Since, you get both from
the default of sEstUstarThresholdDistribution and in the online tool,
its up to your preference.

> 11) There is some inconsistency in annual estimate of ustar threshold
> using sEstUstarThresholdDistribution(). The annual estimate is usually a
> bit higher than any of the seasonal estimates although it should be
> their maximum.
Considering a single value its really the maximum.
Considering the bootstrap, the annual aggregate is computed on each
bootstrap sample and then the quantiles are obtained. Hence, it may
differ from the percentiles of the seasonal estimates.

> 12) Plotting functions that have output to the console miss some
> features, e.g. colour scale for fingerprint plot and labels defining the
> plotted variable. Do you plan to change this in future versions?
I have implemented that, but need to discuss with original develop Antje
Moffat before putting it to r-forge.

> 13) There is a mistake in function name
> usGetSeaonalSeasonUStarMappingFromDistributionResult() (...Seaonal...)
Thanks, I will correct this.

> Sorry for the long list but I hope it also helps you.
Thank you again. It really helps.

Yours
Thomas

@Antje: Could you take care of the following questions?

2) The original OT implemented ustar filter only for the nighttime data.
Of course, oppinions might differ about this but do you also plan to
include this option in future versions? This would allow better
consistency with the older processing method.
3) I find it confusing that sPlotHHFluxes() and sPlotFingerprint() show
axis label in the middle of the month. I think it is more informative
when it marks the start of month.
4) EddyProc.C$sPlotDailySums() seems like it is plotting daily averages
instead. OT example (ver. 0.6.0) seems to have some kind of summing,
although the units were not clear as I saw previous conversation on the
mail list. What kind of solution do you plan here?
7) Is the reference temperature really changed to 15 °C in
sMRFluxPartition()? The original Tref was 10 °C in the old OT. Is there
an option to change this? Could you please comment why you decided to
change this?