[Reddyproc-users] Using Net radiation Rn instead of global radiation Rg? yes for gapfilling, no for partitioning

Thomas Wutzler twutz at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Thu Sep 10 09:07:03 CEST 2015

Dear Bertrand,

It is usually possible to use net radiation instead of global radiation
for gap-filling.
But check your results. It may be problematic for some sites where net
radiation is not a good indicator of similar environmental conditions.

You should not use net radiation for Flux partitioning.
Background: The partitioning is very sensitive to dawn periods where
photosynthesis has already stopped but there are still sufficient
turbulent conditions for the Eddy-Covariance method. Global radiation
(Rg) is used to spot suitable periods. We expect a bad partitioning when
using Net radiation (Rn) instead.

Methodological information can be found at the method section of the
REddyProc web-Page and  the articles cited there.
@Bertrand: Another workshop on Eddy-Covariance or the REddyProc or R in
general is not planned at the moment.

Please, also ask general questions to the community
(reddyproc-users at lists.r-forge.r-project.org) before contacting the
developers.
You may also first scan the archive of the postings:
https://www.bgc-jena.mpg.de/bgi/index.php/Services/REddyProcWebFAQ

Best regards
Thomas