[Reddyproc-users] A matter of units

Jon Paul McCalmont [jpm8] jpm8 at aber.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 12:04:54 CEST 2015

Hi Efron,

I don't think it's g C m-2 day-1 anyway, I had a look at a Daily Sum plot from my gapfilling and it extends down to around -300 at the height of the growing season, if this was g C m-2 this would translate to an accumulation of 3 tonnes of carbon per hectare per day which would be very unrealistic. I summed a typical day in umol m-2 s-1 (i.e. half-hour mean multiplied by 1800 to get the half hour sum then sum all half hours for that day) and that comes to nearly 1 million umol so the units are not umol m-2 day-1 either.
You would probably be better to produce your own integration sums from the half hour gapfilled data and produce your own plots, you then know exactly what units you're using.
Remember that original NEE units are a half hour mean (umol m-2 s-1) so must be converted into half hour totals (ideally in g C m2) before summing across the year.
To convert from umol m-2 s-1 to g C m-2 halfhour-1...
((umol m-2 s-1 *1800)*10^-6)*12

Sorry if you know all this anyway but thought it might be helpful.

Regards,
Jon