[Rcppoctave-user] Apple Blues

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za
Fri Nov 1 09:11:27 CET 2013

What type of R installation did you test this procedure with?
Ideally this would work with the plain CRAN binary, modulo adapting
~/.R/Makevars.

As you probably know, the last line of embedded.cc (attached)
> is very important. Without it there is still a memory error!

I checked Octave source and clean_up_and_exit is a simple wrapper to
do_octave_atexit, which I call directly to skip the call to exit, which
would otherwise terminate the R session as well:

[from
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/eff3d78367f0/src/toplev.cc#l667
]

void clean_up_and_exit (int retval)
{
  do_octave_atexit ();
  if (octave_exit)
    (*octave_exit) (retval == EOF ? 0 : retval);
}

Note that I actually don't know how to effectively terminate the Octave
session. Don't know if this even possible since it currently runs in the
same thread as R (that's at least my understanding). So even after cleaning
up with do_octave_atexit(), we can still send commands to Octave which
responds fine, except if errors occurs and then a segfault sometimes come
up suggesting some thing is in a bad state. Anyway, this is not really a
big issue.

library(RcppOctave)
o_runif(1)
octave_end()