[Rcpp-devel] Package compilation error after a Mac update

Robin GIRARD robin.girard at mines-paristech.fr
Thu May 2 19:04:21 CEST 2019

Dear all, avec a Mac update today I obtained the following error while compiling a package of mine using Rcpp :
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/Rcpp/internal/Exporter.h:31:30: error: reference member 't' binds to a temporary object whose lifetime would be shorter than the lifetime of the constructed object
                    Exporter( SEXP x ) : t(x){}
I’m pretty sure this has something to do with Mac, I updated the Command line tool, I manage to compile simple examples with sourceRcpp (trying to follow instructions here http://thecoatlessprofessor.com/programming/r-compiler-tools-for-rcpp-on-macos/ <http://thecoatlessprofessor.com/programming/r-compiler-tools-for-rcpp-on-macos/>) I’m still trying to reproduce my error on a simple example.
I have R 3.6 and clang7 installed.

Another strange point (might be connected) is that when I try to install RcppArmadillo from source (as suggested in link above with install.packages("RcppArmadillo", type = "source »)) it gives something about cross compiling:

checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/private/var/folders/zt/7cz1y9md79l_h08bbqymt4w9z8xlw7/T/Rtmpgi7WQZ/R.INSTALL4f4110aa3f/RcppArmadillo':
configure: error: cannot run C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RcppArmadillo’

Thanks in advance for your help
Regards
Robin