[Rcpp-devel] Upload library with object files

Sergio Bra sergio.bra88 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:33:09 CET 2019

Hi community,

In the near future I'll be trying to publish a package in the CRAN and
after reading "Writing R extensions" I have some doubts.

I have some c++ functions, available from the R-side with Rcpp. These c++
functions have calls to some C packages. In the src directory I have the
source code of these C libraries, and a directory with the .o files of the
.c files, and informed in the PKG_LIBS variable. I've included the compiled
files for different platforms: ubuntu x32, x64, and windows x32, x64 (I'll
probably include support for OSX) and in the Makevars I select the .o files
to use depending on the OS and arch.

If I execute the R CMD check command, I have no errors but some warnings
like "Object files/libraries should not be included in a source package".
The message and the documentation just recommend not to use them but
doesn't say that it is forbidden.

Can I have problems if I try to attemp the upload of the library in this
circumstance?

Thank you in advance.