[Rcpp-devel] Call to function through pointer to incorrect function type on UBSAN

Helske, Jouni jouni.helske at jyu.fi
Fri Jul 7 23:58:35 CEST 2017

I got some warnings on CRAN with UBSAN relating to my use of user supplied C++ function using Xptr: https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/memtests/clang-UBSAN/bssm/build_vignettes.log

I can't see anything wrong in my codes, although I have just tried to mimic some Dirk's Xptr examples without fully understanding what is going on, so maybe I actually do something silly. But I then noticed that Rcpp also has similar kind of warnings (https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/memtests/clang-UBSAN/Rcpp/build_vignettes.log), so I wonder if these are anything to worry about? I tested my package on GCC based address sanitizer using docker, and did not get any warnings with that setup, which makes me think that maybe it's just some clang issue? Some googling seems to support this theory: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43220926/call-to-function-unknown-through-pointer-to-incorrect-function-type

Best,

Jouni