[Rcpp-devel] RInside status

David Bellot david.bellot at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:19:35 CET 2017

Hi,

I would like to know the status of the RInside project. In the Subversion
repository on R-Forge, the description file says the version is 0.2.10.1 (
https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/DESCRIPTION?view=markup&root=rinside)
and here http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rinside/ the latest version is
0.2.11
But in both cases, the code is at least 3 to 5 years old.

I would like to use it to embed R in a software I'm writing and give the
users the possibility to write their "plugins" to my software in R. So far
my users can use Python to do that (thanks to Boost.Python). The problem is
as follow: the C++ code will instantiate and call R objects and the R
objects should be able to access other C++ objects and call C++ functions
too. The C++ objects cannot be copied to R. In Boost.Python, it happily
works, so now I want to add support for R too.

So has this project been abandonned ? Is there anything else than RInside I
should use ?
Maybe Rcpp has everything to do that now and RInside is not needed anymore ?

Best regards,
David