[Rcpp-devel] [Pre-ANN] RcppArmadillo 0.7.960.1.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 16 17:44:09 CEST 2017

Hi Kurt,

Much appreciate the update.

On 16 August 2017 at 17:23, Kurt Hornik wrote:

| Dirk:
|
| When checking the reverse depends, we're seeing problems with quanteda,
| both with the old version of this as well as the new one published last
| night.  E.g.
|
| Package: quanteda [Old version: 0.9.9-65, New version: 0.99]
| Check: examples
| New result: ERROR
|   Running examples in ‘quanteda-Ex.R’ failed
|   The error most likely occurred in:
|
|   > base::assign(".ptime", proc.time(), pos = "CheckExEnv")
|   > ### Name: textmodel_wordfish
|   > ### Title: wordfish text model
|   > ### Aliases: textmodel_wordfish
|   >
|   > ### ** Examples
|   >
|   > textmodel_wordfish(data_dfm_lbgexample, dir = c(1,5))
|   Error in wordfishcpp_mt(x, as.integer(dir), 1/(priors^2), tol, disp, dispersion_floor,  :
|     dfmSparse is not supported.
|   Calls: textmodel_wordfish -> textmodel_wordfish.dfm -> wordfishcpp_mt -> .Call
|   Execution halted
|
| and in fact all problems seem to have the "dfmSparse is not supported."
| errors.  Are you seeing these too?  Should we contact the quanteda
| maintainer about this?

I have been seeing _fairly consistent_ failures for quanteda with both Rcpp
and RcppArmadillo for quite some time.  You can see more details at the usual
rcpp-logs repo.

As such, I have ignored its most recent failure with RcppArmadillo
0.7.960.1.0. The last (of several) reverse depends logs preceding the upload
has its summary here:
https://github.com/RcppCore/rcpp-logs/blob/master/results/rcpparmadillo/RcppArmadillo-Summary-20170810.txt
As you can see: 372 passed, 3 failed and 2 were skipped by my choice.

On occassion, I dive into packages that fail, ie Rob's "forecast" apparently
only failed for me but not elsewhere.  As it was reproducible, Rob and I
agreed on a change he made.  So it no longer fails for me either.

Similarly, preceding the currently-pending upload of a new BH I have reached
out to two packages one of which was already updated, the other is pending.
But I don't have the bandwidth to chase all failures for all packages, and
some are too persistent. And that is why I uploaded RcppArmadillo last Friday.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org