[Rcpp-devel] RInside Using JNI

Kota, Ravindra B ravindra_kota at freddiemac.com
Tue Aug 15 14:17:01 CEST 2017

Dirk,

Thanks for the reply. It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday, over the phone.

Now, all our front end and web service applications are integrated with JNI with C++ Quant frameworks behind it. Going multi machine, would be a significant architectural change. This might not be feasible in the short run.

A couple of options to consider.

1. We would really like to know, why the seg faults are happening, before we give up this path. Rcpp/RInside protocol fits very well within our framework.  It will be very sad to see if this option does not work.
     1.1 We will be working on debugging this issue today.
2. Client Server Design:
	2.1 We run large portfolios using monte carlo simulations with about 150-300 paths. This means at any given point of time we would be running 1000 cores in parallel, all running an R model. Does Rserve/opencpu/gRPC scale to this level?
              2.2. If we do go down this path, our C++ quant library needs to be the client. Currently we are using Rcpp template data types to go back and forth between R. Which client server option is close to this model, so that we leverage the existing Rcpp investment.
3.What is your availability, if we need to bring you down to Northern Virginia for a day?

Regards
Ravindra