[Rcpp-devel] Logic error causes R memory to be corrupt

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 6 18:31:46 CEST 2016

Hi Anton,

Thanks for posting here.

On 6 October 2016 at 10:52, Anton Bossenbroek wrote:
| I want to add a large number of objects in C++ that are managed by `shared_ptr` in a `vector`. However, when I push the limits of the amount that I want to allocate the data in R becomes inconsistent.

A bit of background.

Rcpp exists because of the excellent idea (by Dominick, around 2004 to 2005)
that using C++ templates for SEXP++ would make interfacing QuantLib easier in
the RQuantLib package I had started a few years earlier.

QuantLib is a marvel. It started in the early 2000s and was the first project
I saw which has bet "big" on Boost testing, and, very importantly,
shared_ptr.  QuantLib also makes extensive use of SWIG to govern interfaces
to (a large number of) other languages.  And here is the key: None of those
can use shared_ptr objects.  Neither does RQuantLib. Even though they are
pervasive in QuantLib.

Now, we are here to interface R.  All that Rcpp does, in essence, is making
it trivially easy to get objects in and out of R as proxy objects:
lightweight, no copy.  And the memory _is still managed by R_. So that you
never need to use a SEXP directly in C++.  That is a feature.  [ Of course,
sometimes you need the SEXP as a quasi-variant type, but that is not the
common use. So let's just call it 'no SEXP in user code'. ]

So I am not claiming that what you want to do here is impossible -- but I am
not aware of another project having done this: hold R objects in a smart_ptr.

Also, you haven't really explained what you want to do, what the life cyle of your
objects is etc pp.

At the simplest level, Rcpp use is synchronous:  you call from R, pass some
content, do some calculations, report something back -- and everything
intermediary is destroyed.  You can persist things, of course, when you
manage the memory.  But you need to be very sure the things are then away
from R -- copies are probably best. XPtr objects are used in that context.

Anyway, end of short speech.  I would recommend you try to break you project
into smaller, more fundamental tasks.  Maybe we can help with those, one by one.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org