[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen fails on win-builder i386, and a possibly related issue.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 23 02:32:26 CEST 2016

On 23 May 2016 at 01:14, François Rousset wrote:
| Le 22/05/2016 à 23:59, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
| > On 22 May 2016 at 23:31, François Rousset wrote:
| > | Le 22/05/2016 à 22:51, Dan Dillon a écrit :
| > |
| > |
| > |     Do you have the same version of mingw as cran?  If not , that would be a
| > |     good test
| > |
| > | I have installed the Rtools 3.3 as described there :
| > | https://github.com/rwinlib/r-base
| > | which is linked from the "R-devel-experimental" download page
| > | https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html
| > | so I am using gcc 4.9.3, and win-builder too.
| > |
| > | The full win-builder logs for 'minimalTest' are accessible (for ca. 72h) here :
| > | http://win-builder.r-project.org/u84hzB80Fol0/
| >
| > There is almost nothing there. It builds, and then on i386 we get a run-time
| > error and it shows is
| >
| >    > mini(14)
| >    Trivial code: swZ.selfadjointView<Lower>().rankUpdate(swZ):
| >
| > from http://win-builder.r-project.org/u84hzB80Fol0/examples_and_tests/minimalTest-Ex_i386.Rout
| > and the summary in http://win-builder.r-project.org/u84hzB80Fol0/00check.log
| >
| > Can you expand on it?  Decompose the expressesion?  Compare it to alternate
| > versions of the same expression?
| I don't know how to decompose it further in more elementary steps. I can
| surely compute a cross-product in a different way.
| However, having submitted 131 versions of packages to win-builder in the
| last week in order to produce the small example, and given how slow
| using win-builder makes any debugging attempt, I wish someone would be
| able to reproduce the problem on another machine, or else to give me
| more specific advice as to what alternative versions of the code would
| be most useful to test, because I feel have reached the point where my
| limited understanding of Eigen and RcppEigen's internals makes the blind
| testing exercise too inefficient.

Understood.

I suggest we may want to put this on hold. Many people have spent time on it,
you surely the most, __but we are left without a reproducible example__ even
on very similar setups (ie Kevin's, your's outside of win-builder).

Until there is something actionable, I don't intend to spend more time on this.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org