[Rcpp-devel] Problem installing RcppEigen: cannot find -lgfortran -lquadmath

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Nov 5 00:31:59 CET 2015

On 4 November 2015 at 23:40, jsmith5889 at yahoo.com wrote:
| Thanks Dirk!
|
| Could you please elaborate on what you mean by *building* against these
| libraries?-- The compilation step went through without any problems;
| only the linking step failed.

"buidling" == compiling and linking

| Also, it seems that I didn't need to add anything to my system that I
| didn't already have---creating an un-versioned symbolic link to existing
| files did the trick.

I do not recommended playing tricks behind the back of your package
management system.

Any decent introduction to your Linux distro of choice should explain the
difference between 'libfoo' and 'libfoo-dev' well.

Let's stop this discussion here, it is about "who do I work on Linux" and
is of limited interest to the Rcpp audience here.

Dirk

| -Lutz
|
| On 11/04/2015 11:27 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > On 4 November 2015 at 22:20, jsmith5889 at yahoo.com wrote:
| > | Hi all,
| > |
| > | I hope that this mailing list is an appropriate outlet for my comment:
| > |
| > | When I tried to install RcppEigen, I got the following error message
| > | during the linking step:
| > |
| > | g++ -shared -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -L/usr/local/lib64 -o RcppEigen.so
| > | RcppEigen.o RcppExports.o fastLm.o -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lRlapack
| > | -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lRblas -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
| > | /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
| > | cannot find -lgfortran
| > | /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/5/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
| > | cannot find -lquadmath
| > |
| > | This problem appeared with R 3.2.2 on an openSuse tumbleweed machine
| > | using g++ 5.2.1, and I verified that both libgfortran and libquadmath
| > | were installed in /usr/lib64.
| >
| > You need the equivalent of libgfortran-dev to _build_ against Fortran and not
| > just _run_ against it.
| >
| > | I noticed that my /usr/lib64 contained the files libgfortran.so.3 and
| > | libquadmath.so.0, but not copies (or links) without a version number. I
| >
| > The -dev versions give you that.
| >
| > Dirk
| >
| > | could solve the installation problem by creating version-free links
| > | libgfortran.so and libquadmath.so in /usr/lib64 that pointed to the
| > | libgfortran.so.3 and libquadmath.so.0 files, respectively.
| > |
| > | I would appreciate if anyone could check if they have the same problem,
| > | and if this configuration is not exclusive to my computer.
| > |