[Rcpp-devel] examples of using cula matrix multiplication in Rcpp

Qiang Kou qkou at umail.iu.edu
Mon May 18 16:01:26 CEST 2015

I have played with CUDA for some time and here is my simple comments.

(1) The simplest way to use CUDA with R/Armadillo is to use nvblas. You can
see the demo on 21st page of [1].

(2) The speedup may not as good as expected sometimes (at least in my own
experiments).

Best wishes,

KK

[1]
http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/supercomputing/2013/presentation/SC3108-New-Features-CUDA%206%20-GPU-Acceleration.pdf

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Yue Li <gorillayue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I wonder if anyone worked on incorporating CULA tools library
> functionality into Rcpp. How much speed gain on top of Rcpp do we expect on
> basic operation like matrix multiplication?
>
> In particular, I’m  currently usnig RArmadillo to seamlessly perform
> matrix multiplication. But the speed gain over my R implementation is 5-10
> times if not less.
>
> I’m wondering if there is an equivalent easy-to-use library for doing
> matrix multiplication with GPU enabled. A complete simple example would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Yue

Qiang Kou
qkou at umail.iu.edu
School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University