[Rcpp-devel] optionally linking to external libraries

Yixuan Qiu yixuan.qiu at cos.name
Tue Jun 9 10:28:44 CEST 2015

Hi Simon,
As far as I know CRAN provides all the libraries you listed except OpenCV (
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/ThirdPartySoftware.html). If
you intend to publish your package to CRAN and let CRAN build the Windows
version, I suppose you can directly make use of those libraries.
For OpenCV, you can write a script to download the headers and pre-compiled
library in installation. An example is the configure.win file in Cairo
package.

Of course, the suggestion above is for building a Windows package with full
external dependency support. I have no good idea how to test the existence
of libraries on Windows anyway.

Best,
Yixuan

> Dear list,
>
> I've been working on an image processing package for R (
> https://github.com/dahtah/imager) that uses Rcpp to provide an interface
> to the CImg library.
>
> Cimg is contained in just one header file, which makes it easy to ship
> with an R package. It is relatively self-contained, but some functionality
> requires external dependencies, such as libpng, libjpeg, libfftw3 and
> opencv. These additional modules can be included at compile time via a
> #define statement, but of course the right headers and libraries need to be
> present.
>
> I'm trying to find a way to provide the additional functionality without
> forcing the user to install these dependencies. On Linux/Mac a possible way
> to do that would be to use autoconf, but from what I read Windows support
> is going to be headache. Does anyone have advice on alternatives? Much
> appreciated.
>
> Best
>
> Simon Barthelme

Yixuan Qiu <yixuan.qiu at cos.name>