[Rcpp-devel] Compile RcppEigen with low memory

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 27 19:37:05 CEST 2015

On 27 July 2015 at 18:39, Matt D. wrote:
| On 7/27/2015 14:57, Felix Schönbrodt wrote:
| Here's an idea (disclaimer: this may be crazy... but it might just

It's not. Use a binary r-cran-rcppeigen package.

Just yesterday I blogged about the same context -- how to use an PPA at
launchpad.net in order to get binaries for Travis.  This obviously carries
over to other non-Travis installations.  See

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2015/07/26#evading_the_hadley_tax_faster_travis_tests

for that post. And for me as maintainer of the r-cran-rcppeigen package, it
is particularly to re-create a build for 12.04 using the PPA build service.
But, and here is the big but, you probably do not need to because Michael's
c2d4u (and/or rrutter) will almost surely have r-cran-rcppeigen as lme4
depends upon it.  So on your virtual machine, just point to the CRAN repo
and or Michael's PPA(s) and use the binary.

The code for all this is in the r-travis repo:

https://github.com/craigcitro/r-travis/blob/master/scripts/travis-tool.sh#L63-L68

so you should be all set.  Report back if you issues or questions.

And last but not least, the obvious advice:  get a real computer with a
proper memory allocation and a recent OS versions ;-)

Hope this helps,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org