[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp Armadillo's configure script's hashbang

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Feb 28 22:42:41 CET 2015

As I tried to explain, I stand behind this as maintainer interfacing
gatekeepers enforcing coding and package standards at both Debian and CRAN.

I have hard-earned experience in dealing with these folks and standards
since, respectively, the mid 1990s and early 2000s. And not-infrequently did
I have to dumb-down shell scripts to make them work with the minimal /bin/sh
implementations.  More so at Debian after /bin/sh (from ash) became the
default shell, but IIRC also at CRAN.

And I plainly don't like those.  I simply prefer bash and somewhat richer
shells.  So bash it is.  The installed bash package is still smaller than
RcppArmadillo.

As I said, that configure script will go away at some point too, so I'd
really prefer if we could drop the issue now.

So after having explained this in
 -- the configure shell script itself in two paragraphs
 -- a lengthy thread in the PR #15 which I rejected
 -- this email thread
may I ask that we table this?

Thanks,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org