[Rcpp-devel] RcppParallel on Solaris

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:42:56 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 13 April 2015 at 08:03, JJ Allaire wrote:
> | I'll have to take a closer look at the warnings. One other issue that
> | needs to be resolved prior to the next submission to CRAN revolves
> | around pedantic warnings on Debian testing that prohibit "long long"
> | (used by both TinyThread and TBB). The easy workaround is
> | SystemRequirements: C++11 however this will mean that package won't
> | compile on pre-Mavericks Macs (~30% of all Macs) nor RedHat/CentOS
> | systems. Perhaps I can modify TinyThread and TBB to no longer use
> | "long long" but I'll need to do this very carefully.
>
> I never found another way to get 'long long' besides requiring C++11.

It might be fine, actually. I have a package with long long on CRAN, and
yes, they asked me to "fix it", but like for you, it is in upstream code,
so I am not really comfortable removing it, and CRAN seems to be OK with it
now.

Other packages seem to have it, too:
https://github.com/search?q=user%3Acran+%22long+long%22&type=Code&utf8=%E2%9C%93
I doubt that these all require C++11.

Also, all compilers they use have long long, so what is the point, really?

Gabor

[...]