[Rcpp-devel] RcppParallel on Solaris

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:45:17 CEST 2015

> Thanks Jeroen! Does the ORD version of R use GNU make? (I think we need
> that for the RcppParallel makefile). If it doesn't, Gábor do you know if
> there is a straightforward way to force it to use GNU make? (or as Jeroen
> hypothesizes does CRAN use gcc when testing packages that have GNU make as
> a SystemDependency?)

Sorry, I missed this, I wasn't signed up for rcpp-devel, and you only sent
this to the list.

As for GNU make, my observation is that you just need to put it first in
PATH.

So what I did was that I compiled R with Sun make. I installed GNU make
from OCW, it is called gmake, so it is not called by default. Then when a
package needed GNU make, I just added a dir with a make ->
/opt/ocw/bin/gmake link to the PATH, and then all was fine.

Not the most elegant, though, and it is possible to pass the make in an
environment variable.....

IMHO it would be really surprising if CRAN used gcc whenever they use GNU
make. GNU make works fine with solaris compilers. Maybe they use gcc for
some packages that do work with solaris studio. But Rcpp and RcppParallel
seem to be fine with it.

G.