[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp built with the visual c++ compiler - possible uses

Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au Jean-Michel.Perraud at csiro.au
Wed Apr 8 14:34:34 CEST 2015

In the course of building an R package that would depend on Rcpp, I investigated whether compiling these two packages with MS VC++ is feasible, having users (me included) that work principally from Visual Studio as an IDE.

With a couple of adjustments, but not much, it appears possible at least with VS2013 (FYI https://github.com/jmp75/Rcpp/tree/build/msvc). I have compiled but not run extensively, but a working system looks "essentially doable".

There appears to have been some questions in the past on this mailing list regarding compiling with the VC++ compiler in order to access libraries built with it, so I thought I may flag this.

I am actually currently aiming to use an API deliberately in C, with opaque pointers, to avoid being bound to one C++ compiler for all R packages (including on Linux; for all I know the C++ name mangling scheme is compiler specific irrespective of OSes and whether this is Microsoft's or not). In other words, I may not seek to actively design/maintain an Rcpp that can be built with VC++ for my own work.

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to hear whether this is of use to others, and if so get advice on how/what to contribute if not too onerous.