[Rcpp-devel] difference between install from source and install from repositories

Pratibha Rana prana at Vertica.com
Thu Sep 18 19:44:10 CEST 2014

On 09/18/2014 01:39 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 18 September 2014 at 17:08, Pratibha Rana wrote:
> | Bringing it back here :)
>
> [..]
>
> | While installing from sources I used the configure options from
> | /etc/R/makeconf and that solved my problem. I do think that the problem
> | was due to the R installation because on both the setups I installed
> | Rcpp and RInside from the sources and it works properly on the one where
> | R is installed from repositories and crashes on the other. I'll
> | definitely post this on Rcpp-devel.
> |
> | Another thing, the issue is reproducible on multiple machines. I tried
> | it on three different machines to make sure that its not my local setup.
> | One was Ubuntu 14.04, and the other two were centOS 6.5.
>
> As I just wrote to the identical mail you sent to r-sig-debian (and thanks by
> the way for sending your R-on-Ubuntu config question there):
>
>    There is no news here, or no need to follow-up.
>
>    When you link different components into a single executable you need
>    consistent compile options.
>
> This theme has come up before here.  When you combine Rcpp and RInside (or
> other pieces) you want to make sure they compiled consistently.
I am not sure if I understand that. I installed Rcpp and RInside using
the R CMD INSTALL command

R CMD INSTALL Rcpp_0.11.2.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL RInside_0.2.11.tar.gz

Isn't that the way to do it.