[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen: Windows binary from CRAN crashes R, but not when installing from source.

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 16 15:35:18 CEST 2014

On 16 October 2014 at 15:07, Henrik Singmann wrote:
| Hi Dirk and Kevin,
|
| I have now rebuild the package using the code Dirk send me (i.e., using attributes) and the code still reliably crashes my R on Linux when using devtools (independent of RStudio), but not when installing via install.packages. When just using the code Dirk had send directly (i.e., outside a package) this does not happen.

Please take that up with the devtools maintainer. I do not use devtools.

It is not part of what we asked for:  __a minimally reproducible example__

| Note that I had to minimally change the code Dirk had sent as I couldn't manage to use "using Eigen::" so had to preface every call to Eigen functions or structures with "Eigen::".

Here is my counter example. Ubuntu 14.04. Everything current.

Save the following a file "henrik.cpp"

#include <RcppEigen.h>

using namespace Rcpp;

using Eigen::Map;
using Eigen::VectorXd;
using Eigen::RowVectorXd;
using Eigen::MatrixXd;

// [[Rcpp::depends(RcppEigen)]]

// The following is __identical__ to mptmin::src/determinant.cpp
// but at the same time much, much shorter and more readable
//
// The following 'tag' ensure determinant2() is accessible from R
//
// [[Rcpp::export]]
int determinant2(int S, Map<MatrixXd> Ineq) {

    VectorXd thetaTMP = Rcpp::as<VectorXd>(rbeta(S, 0.5, 0.5));
    RowVectorXd theta = thetaTMP.transpose();

    VectorXd IneqT = (theta*Ineq.transpose());

    return 0;
}

/*** R

# the following is equivalent to mptmin::R/minimal.cpp
# but shorter and easier; also removed the leading dot
oneSample2 <- function(Sx, Ineq) {
  #.Call("determinant2", Sx, Ineq, PACKAGE = "MPTbug")
  determinant2(Sx, Ineq)
}

# the dimensions are of course incompatible so this is user error
trigger <- function() {
  S <- 3
  # why would you create a matrix via structure() ?
  Ineq <- structure(0, .Dim = c(1L, 1L))  #error
  oneSample2(Sx = S, Ineq = Ineq)
}

no_trigger <- function() {
  S <- 3
  Ineq <- structure(c(-1, 1, 0), .Dim = c(1L, 3L))  # no error
  oneSample2(Sx = S, Ineq = Ineq)
}

no_trigger()                 # no issue
trigger()                    # no issue either
*/

In an R session, issue the following command sourceCpp("filename.cpp") with
the name (plus optional path) to the file above.  Here is what I get in a
fresh session:

R> Rcpp::sourceCpp("~/Dropbox/tmp/henrik.cpp")

R> # the following is equivalent to mptmin::R/minimal.cpp
R> # but shorter and easier; also removed the leading dot
R> oneSample2 <- function(Sx, In .... [TRUNCATED]

R> # the dimensions are of course incompatible so this is user error
R> trigger <- function() {
+   S <- 3
+   # why would you create a matrix via str .... [TRUNCATED]

R> no_trigger <- function() {
+   S <- 3
+   Ineq <- structure(c(-1, 1, 0), .Dim = c(1L, 3L))  # no error
+   oneSample2(Sx = S, Ineq = Ineq)
+ }

R> no_trigger()                 # no issue
[1] 0

R> trigger()                    # no issue either
[1] 0

I consider this issue closed because __there is still no minimal reproducible
bug__.

There is what we could call a user error. Or if you wish a design error. You
simply cannot multiply non-conformant vectors.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org