[Rcpp-devel] statement about rcpp11 ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 1 14:06:38 CEST 2014

Jonathon,

You asked me about Rcpp11 -- but I don't think I should take that question,
or at least not in this forum (ask me somewhere else one day, preferably over
a cold drink).  Why, you ask?  Two reasons: First, this is the rcpp-devel list
dedicated to deployment and development of Rcpp.  Second, I am not involved
in Rcpp11, and am probably not the person you want speaking about it.

Now, there were two related follow-ups regarding Rcpp, and I address those below.

| (because presumably Rcpp doesn't support C++11... but of course it does).

Indeed. We said it several times, but it bears repeating: Rcpp has supported
C++11 for years, and will continue to do so. Similarly, support for C++14,
C++17, ... will be added as compiler (mainly g++ and clang++) support grows.

The Rcpp team strives to keep all options open going forward as both
compilers and the R build system support them -- but without foregoing
backwards compatibility which is important to us as well.

To us, this arrangement offers the best of both worlds.  New C++ language
features are available to all, yet users of existing code can be assurred
that it ought to run as it has before.

| what is the future of rcpp?

Rcpp is being actively developed by several of us, and we plan on adding lots
more features and refinements in the years ahead.

And usage of Rcpp is equally vibrant: we passed the '200 packages on CRAN'
mark in April, and are now already more than a third higher at 274 on CRAN,
plus 27 more on BioC [release, more in dev], much more on GitHub etc pp.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org