[Rcpp-devel] Review request: Sandboxed R integration via RInside

Christian Authmann authmanc at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Thu Nov 20 19:04:10 CET 2014

On 11/20/2014 05:41 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Does the client code use R code to (de-)serialize R objects?

It's right in the code :-)

TL;DR: It doesn't. The code only serializes generic types (int,
std::string, std::vector<int>, ..) and user-defined classes with their
own serialization methods, which in turn would usually be implemented
using serialization of the generic types. See the third commit
https://github.com/cauthmann/rinside/commit/a436172763d313ee980268f1c63ca0a996c2fe8f
for examples.
Rcpp::wrap() is only called server side after the object was replicated.

Again, a design choice made with the idea of supporting other languages
eventually: both protocol and client are language agnostic and thus R
free. Also, I had the serialization code for my own custom types already
written.

I considered running the Rcpp wrappers client-side and serializing R
objects, but I don't think that's feasible in the time I have available.
There's just too many different R objects, and I'm not fluent enough in
R internals to pull that off.

> I would prefer it if you made code you generously offer for us to be
> included in RInside consistent with the rest of the RInside project:
> GPL-2.

It is already licensed under the GPL-2. I assume you want me to remove
the other licence. Can do.

> I would really much prefer if you could alter the pull request and change the
> licensing.

Can do for the final pull request after review.

Ciao,
Christian