[Rcpp-devel] [OT] Asking for a quick OS X favour

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 12 15:46:28 CEST 2014

On 12 May 2014 at 08:51, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| The symlink is now there. The issue was caused by hiredis is not supporting either configure or DESTDIR so I had to build the tar ball by hand. There may be more issues caused by the lack of basic build features in hiredis, so let me know how it goes.

Thanks so much -- I actually checked your tarball this morning, saw that and
sent a heads-up to CRAN so that they can re-test.  It should now build.

Is the missing DESTDIR a GNU make vs non-GNU make issue?  From my (somewhat)
casual perusing of redis and its subordinated hiredis, both Linux and OS X
are considered first-class citizens for the server.  I saw a note that
Microsoft itself is working on/towards Windows support for the redis server.

If anybody primarily on Windows would like to help building a zipfile with 32 and 64
bit static libraries of hiredis so that RcppRedis binaries could be built by
CRAN, let me know.  This should be pretty straightforward...

Dirk

| Cheers,
| Simon
|
| Sent from my iPhone
|
| > On May 11, 2014, at 13:45, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >

| > On 11 May 2014 at 19:23, Romain François wrote:
| > | Works fine for me after installing hiredis from brew.
| > | https://gist.github.com/romainfrancois/e70e6c49fdda9172b644
| >
| > Thanks for chiming in. That is rather interesting, and per the gist 'how it
| > should work'.
| >
| > But what I do not get is that hiredis is really small and simple (three or
| > four source files) and the makefile is straightforward:
| >
| >       # Installation related variables and target
| >       PREFIX?=/usr/local
| >       INSTALL_INCLUDE_PATH= $(PREFIX)/include/hiredis
| >
| >       install: $(DYLIBNAME) $(STLIBNAME)
| >                mkdir -p $(INSTALL_INCLUDE_PATH) $(INSTALL_LIBRARY_PATH)
| >                $(INSTALL) hiredis.h async.h adapters $(INSTALL_INCLUDE_PATH)
| >
| > I just don't see how the '$(PREFIX)/include/hiredis' can drop the hiredis/
| > directory in that cmmand.  Yet Hao, Baptiste (off-list), Simon (on his first
| > attempt, building the library the normal way) all end up with
| > /usr/local/include/hiredis.h which then breaks the use via
| >
| >   #include <hiredis/hiredis.h>
| >
| > as there is no hiredis/ directory.  I don't see what's going on, but I don't
| > fully grok the (home)brew versus normal install dichotomy on CRAN, and in
| > which case one is better off with Simon's tarballs (always?) versus
| > (home)brew.
| >
| > The good news is that Simon, wonderful as he is, is looking into adding a
| > symlink in the tarball under which the package would install.  We'll see how
| > it goes.
| >
| > Dirk

| > |
| > | Le 11 mai 2014 à 19:05, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> a écrit :

> [...]
> [...]