[Rcpp-devel] g++ flags

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 7 14:14:22 CEST 2014

On 7 May 2014 at 06:47, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| I am now getting latex errors when I try to install Rcpp from github

We treat GitHub as a development repository, just like R-Forge before it.

To us, it is not a means for general distribution (though we strive to keep
the master branch sane at all times).  OTOH releases are rigorously tested on
win-builder and other platforms. So if in doubt, use CRAN.

That said, even GitHub gets continuous integration and builds on every
commit. Things generally work for the OS X and Linux crowds (for several
flavours of each). We do turn vignettes off on GitHub to save some processing
time. Building vignettes requires highlight (the package) and a decent LaTeX.

As nobody in Rcpp Core develops (primarily) on Windows, if something breaks
you get to keep the pieces -- at least until you, or someone else, fixes it.

Dirk

| (see below) but it does now work (without the vignettes) if I use:
|    github_install("RcppCore/Rcpp", build_vignettes = FALSE)
| so at least I can proceed without explicitly setting any environment
| variables now.
| Thanks.
|
| > R.version.string
| [1] "R version 3.1.0 Patched (2014-05-03 r65519)"
| >
| > devtools::install_github("RcppCore/rcpp")
| Installing github repo rcpp/master from RcppCore
| Downloading master.zip from https://github.com/RcppCore/rcpp/archive/master.zip
|
| <snip>
|
| * creating vignettes ...Warning: running command
| '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.1/bin/x64/Rscript" --vanilla --default-packages=
| -e "tools::buildVignettes(dir = '.', tangle = TRUE)"' had status 1
|  ERROR
|
| Attaching package: 'Rcpp'
|
| The following object is masked from 'package:inline':
|
|     registerPlugin
|
| Warning: running command
| '"C:\PROGRA~2\MIKTEX~1.9\miktex\bin\texi2dvi.exe" --quiet --pdf
| "Rcpp-FAQ.tex" --max-iterations=20 -I
| "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.1/share/texmf/tex/latex" -I
| "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.1/share/texmf/bibtex/bst"' had status 1
| Error: running 'texi2dvi' on 'Rcpp-FAQ.tex' failed
|
| LaTeX errors:
| cpp-FAQ.tex:516: pdfTeX error (font expansion): auto expansion is only possible
|  with scalable fonts
|

| Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
| cpp-FAQ.tex:516:  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
| Execution halted
| Error: Command failed (1)
|
| On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM, Kevin Ushey <kevinushey at gmail.com> wrote:
| > Hi Gabor,
| >
| > Looks like it was a bug on our end -- R-exts specifies that USE_CXX1X
| > should be set to any value; we try to set it to nothing (ie, define it
| > but leave it empty) but apparently that is not accepted.
| >
| > I just pushed a bug fix to GitHub and it works on my Windows VM; can
| > you give it another shot?
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Kevin
| >
| > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Gabor Grothendieck
| > <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
| >> On Windows with R 3.1 I installed the latest Rcpp from github and did
| >> the following but the compliation gave an error which was was due to
| >> the C++11 constructs.  If I rerun it but uncomment the Sys.setenv line
| >> then it works. What do I do to get the cpp11 attribute to work?
| >>
| >> library(Rcpp)
| >> # Sys.setenv("PKG_CXXFLAGS"="-std=c++0x")
| >> cat('
| >> // [[Rcpp::plugins("cpp11")]]
| >> // [[Rcpp::export]]
| >> int useCpp11() {

> [...]