[Rcpp-devel] What is /usr/bin/r ?

Mike Willis mike.willis at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Mar 10 15:41:33 CET 2014

I'm making an rpm package to deploy to Linux machines I manage that
contains, amongst other things, a copy of the Rcpp package. The purpose
of this is that when a clsas that uses R is taught the lecturer doesn't
have to start by getting all the students to install all the required
packages. The package is made by installing all the packages myself,
then taking a copy of my R library and packaging that to put the files
in to the global R library directory. I've done this multiple times over
the years with no problem.

On this occasion one of the requested packages evidently drags in Rcpp
as a dependency and when I try to install my rpm package I get a
dependency error that nothing provides /usr/bin/r. I've traced this to
the Rcpp package which contains 44 files that begin

#!/usr/bin/r -t

Four randomly selected examples of  those 44 are:

examples/RcppInline/RcppInlineExample.r
examples/FastLM/fastLMviaArmadillo.r
unitTests/runit.RObject.R
unitTests/runit.Date.R

Can someone tell me what /usr/bin/r refers to?

The executable for R is /usr/bin/R and it doesn't accept a -t option.

Please note I know next to nothing about R and even less about Rcpp.

thanks,

mike