[Rcpp-devel] RcppMLPACK ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jun 11 13:38:55 CEST 2014

On 10 June 2014 at 23:34, Qiang Kou wrote:
| Hi, guys,
|
| I have a little more time to work on the RcppMLPACK package during this summer.
|
| I set up a repo on github [1] and it follows the structure of RcppArmadillo. I
| just test a simple kmeans function and it seems that it works.

Nice work! Installs and runs fine. Does create a million warnings under my
compiler settings (ie -Wall -pedantic ) some of which of course come from
MLPACK and/or Boost.  And smart how you just added the little bit from Boost
we don't have in BH (program_options).

Should the cpp files in inst/include be in src/, or maybe src/mlpack instead?

It may be less than ideal that the kmeans example hides the base function.
Maybe make it mlKmeans, or keep it unexported, or ... ?

Dirk

| Since almost all the input/output of MLPACK is handled by Armadillo, there is
| not much work as I have seen.
|
| Please send pull request If interested in contributing code or testing.
|
| Best,
|
| KK
|
| [1] https://github.com/thirdwing/RcppMLPACK.git
|

| On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 1:08 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

|     James, Qiang,
|
|     On 5 April 2014 at 23:33, Qiang Kou wrote:
|     | Hi, I think we can try to start this in the summer, since I am also a
|     little
|     | busy as a student.
|     |
|     | I my opinion, we can follow the structure of RcppArmadillo and start from
|     'as'
|     | and 'wrap' functions for matrix structure in mlpack.
|
|     There is definitely general interest in doing that. And as mentioned
|     earlier
|     in this thread, there has been previous talk between Ryan (MLPACK), Conrad
|     (Arma) and myself. It would probably be best to somehow involve Ryan and
|     his
|     group as they have thoughts (and have considered Swig and other tools).  It
|     would need some thought, and someone with time and knowledge of both
|     projects
|     to be involved.
|
|     That said, you can of course also start with simple as<>() and wrap()
|     converters just to get going. Nothing wrong with some explorations and
|     examples while figuring out the bigger picture.
|
|     Cheers, Dirk

|     |
|     | Best,
|     |
|     | KK
|     |
|     |
|     | On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM, James Li <jamesyili at gmail.com> wrote:
|     |
|     |     Hello Damian and other Rcpp Devs,
|     |
|     |     I am extremely interested in putting in (non-trivial) time into
|     something
|     |     like this - but I am not sure I am expert enough to head such a
|     project.
|     |
|     |     My question to you is: have you or anyone else started a project like
|     this
|     |     that I can contribute to? And if not, could someone point me the
|     right way
|     |     to get started?
|     |
|     |     Thanks!
|     |
|     |     Best,
|     |     James
|     |
|     |
|     |     On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
|     wrote:
|     |
|     |
|     |         Damian,
|     |
|     |         On 20 January 2014 at 20:12, Damian Lyons wrote:
|     |         | Dear Rcpp developers,
|     |         |
|     |         | Firstly, many thanks for your work on Rcpp.  It has saved me
|     |         countless hours
|     |         | (or is that months?) of simulation time.
|     |         |
|     |         | I'm a big fan of RcppArmadillo and Armadillo.  Recently I came
|     |         across MLPACK,
|     |         | which is a large and useful C++ machine learning library that
|     uses
|     |         Armadillo:
|     |         | http://mlpack.org
|     |
|     |         Sure. I am in somewhat regular contact with Ryan Curtin, its lead
|     |         developer,
|     |         because of our joint interactions with Conrad and his priceless
|     |         Armadillo
|     |         library.  But Ryan is a grad student, and we while we have talked
|     |         about R
|     |         binding (meaning the real thing and not just some SWIG
|     interfaces), he
|     |         is not
|     |         exactly overflowing with free time. Neither am I.
|     |
|     |         | If you have the time to do so, I humbly request for an official
|     |         RcppMLPACK
|     |         | package.  I believe other people will also find it useful.  I'm
|     |         currently
|     |         | copying and pasting code out of MLPACK into my own package, but
|     this
|     |         is not the
|     |         | most friendly solution.
|     |
|     |         This makes YOU the perfect candidate to start a project NOW as
|     YOU need
|     |         IT.
|     |         And YOU have already worked with both pieces.
|     |
|     |         None of our projects became what they are overnight. You have to
|     start
|     |         somewhere.  Do it right, do it in the open, and if you do that
|     and
|     |         have some
|     |         luck maybe others will join and help.
|     |
|     |         Dirk
|     |
|     |         --
|     |         Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com
|     |         _______________________________________________
|     |         Rcpp-devel mailing list
|     |         Rcpp-devel at lists.r-forge.r-project.org
|     rcpp-devel
|     |
|     |
|     |
|     |
|     |     --
|     |     James Li | Ph.D. Candidate | http://jamesyili.com/
|     |     Dept. of Statistical Science | Cornell University
|     |
|     |     Rcpp-devel mailing list
|     |     Rcpp-devel at lists.r-forge.r-project.org
|     rcpp-devel