[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp, Windows and CMake

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 29 17:19:07 CET 2014

On 29 January 2014 at 11:05, Jamie Olson wrote:
| Thanks Dirk, I'll take a stab with MSys.  Just wondering, though, why
| then are the Rtools commands based on cygwin instead of MSys?
|
| I thought that the RInside examples were to be built using Cygwin
| because they use the "Unix Makefiles" generator.  I hadn't yet seen
| anything to indicate that was possible on windows without cygwin.
| >From the CMake wiki[http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Generator_Specific_Information#Makefile_generators]:
|
| This generator generates Makefiles for make under Unix and also for
| cygwin (i.e. with Unix paths)
|

| Do "Unix Makefiles" work on MSys, too, or should I use "MinGW Makefiles"?

Ok, let me speak to the Makefiles shipped with RInside: there is src/Makefile
for Linux and OS X, and there is src/Makefile.win for the other OS.

Ditto in each of the six inst/examples/* subdirectories. That is what is
shipped and supported -- using make and your g++/clang++/... compiler on
Linux or OS X, and using make (built for Windows) and your g++ from Rtools.

In short, no 'Unix Makefiles' generator anywhere. Maybe this comes from
contributed CMake examples.  But it seems that this is between you and CMake,
and the CMake examples, why useful to those using RIinside with IDEs
deploying CMake, are not the documented use case.

Maybe get the basic stuff working first.  Say 'make -f Makefile.win' in one
of the examples directoies. Take it from there.

Hope this helps,  Dirk