[Rcpp-devel] Use of "Depends: Rcpp" in packages using Rcpp

French, Joshua JOSHUA.FRENCH at UCDENVER.EDU
Tue Jan 7 02:45:39 CET 2014

Davor,

I¹m not sure if this question is in reference to an email from Brian
Ripley, but I was under the impression that we should include Rcpp and/or
RcppArmadillo in Depends so that it is not installed for binary versions
of the packages.  The following excerpt is from an email recently sent out
by Professor Ripley:

³As far as I can see, these packages [packages that link to BH,
RcppArmadillo and/or RcppEigen] are using only the headers provided by BH,
RcppArmadillo and/or RcppEigen.

As the latter are quite large packages, it is desirable that they are not
installed for binary (OS X/Windows) installs, which will happen if they
are listed only in the LinkingTo field.

Some people have them in other fields to impose a version requirement:
this is supported in LinkingTo as from R 3.0.2.  So use something like

Depends R (>= 3.0.2), Rcpp
LinkingTo: Rcpp, RcppArmadillo (>= 0.2.34)

Joshua
--
Joshua French, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor