[Rcpp-devel] Function changing the value of objects in global environment

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 2 02:34:37 CET 2014

Nick,

On 1 February 2014 at 20:14, Nick Menzies wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I am relatively new to Rcpp and a bit confused about the behavior I am seeing
| from an Rcpp function. It seems that a function created with Rcpp can modify
| the value of objects in the global environment, yet this behavior depended on
| the nature of the object. I realize I could code things differently so that the
| object in the global environment is not affected, but I wanted to make sure
| there is not something more general I am doing wrong (and which will continue
| to be wrong without me knowing it!)

Yes.   It is known and documented as has been discussed several times here.

In short in ...

| Below is a small example where the global value gets altered, followed by an
| example where it does not. The only difference between them is that in the
| first (cTest1) the input is NumericVector, while in the second (cTest2) the
| input is double.
|
| ### Rcpp function alters values in global environment:
| cppFunction('
|   double cTest1( NumericVector zzz) {

... this case zzz is really the same as the R object, so the change has side
effects.  We are after all passing a _pointer_ -- the P in SEXP object.  If
you want to prevent this, use Rcpp::clone(...) on some object which creates a
distinct copy.

|     zzz = zzz/10;
|     return 1;
|    }')
|
|   zzz=rep(10,3)
|   zzz
|   cTest1(zzz)
|   zzz
|
| ### Rcpp function does not alter values in global environment:
| cppFunction('
|   double cTest2( double zzz) {

This is different as a double does not exists in R (it would be a vector of
length one, and correspond to a NumericVector as above -- a double really is
different).   So here you have effect of Rcpp::clone() by an implicit copy.

Idem when a cast is involved.

Hope this helps,  Dirk