[Rcpp-devel] Status of ARMA_64BIT_WORD in RcppArmadillo

Balamuta, James Joseph balamut2 at illinois.edu
Mon Dec 15 04:49:36 CET 2014

Greetings and Salutations All,

Recently, I've had the need to collide large matrices 1x10^7 using code written in RcppArmadillo.

Initially, I triggered:
Error: Mat::init(): requested size is too large; suggest to enable ARMA_64BIT_WORD

Upon a quick search, I stumbled upon a Stack Exchange post by Dirk:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/16159326/1345455

"Update on 2013-04-30: This was actually an Armadillo bug, which was just fixed upstream. A new RcppArmadillo verion 0.3.810.2 is now in SVN, and should migrate soon to CRAN shortly. You no longer need to define ARMA_64BIT_WORD."

Upon opening,

[R.home()]/lib/R/library/RcppArmadillo/include/RcppArmadilloConfig.h

#define ARMA_64BIT_WORD

The above definition not listed.

Two quick questions:
1. Was the default support for ARMA_64BIT_WORD removed? (RcppArmadillo >= 0.4.5.550.1.0) If not, is there a trigger I need to add to my source to ensure ARMA_64BIT_WORD is active?
2. If I make the code I'm currently working on available as a package on CRAN, would I have to direct users to modify the RcppArmadilloConfig.h?

Sincerely,

JJB