[Rcpp-devel] R CMD check --as-cran note on Depends/Imports versus LinkingTo

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Aug 28 12:25:41 CEST 2014

On 28 August 2014 at 11:10, Krueger, Fabian wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I am working on an R package that uses Rcpp and RcppArmadillo.
| Everything works fine on my PC, and I am now trying to make the package
| satisfy the formal standards for submitting to CRAN. Running "R CMD
| check --as-cran <package.name>, I get the following note: "Package in
| Depends/Imports which should probably only be in LinkingTo:
| 'RcppArmadillo'" [this is the only note, apart from the usual "new
| submission" one].
|
| Can anyone provide details on what this note means, and how to get rid

You probably have

    Depends: Rcpp, RcppArmadillo

or

    Imports: Rcpp, RcppArmadillo

when you only need

    Imports: Rcpp
    LinkingTo: Rcpp, RcppArmadillo

See eg the RcppMLPACK package as a recent example, and edit your DESCRIPTION
accordingly.

| of it? What puzzles me is that producing a toy package via
| "RcppArmadillo.package.skeleton()" yields the same note (see MWE below).

The RcppArmadillo.package.skeleton() function may need updating then with
respect to Imports -- looks like it was last touched in May.

I'll check that over the next few days.

Dirk