[Rcpp-devel] initialising RInside crashes for some users

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Aug 22 13:09:25 CEST 2014

On 22 August 2014 at 11:45, Jonathon Love wrote:
| we are shipping a piece of software which embeds R using RInside and
| Rcpp. we've avoided the difficulty of locating, and using the R
| install on the users machine by shipping the complete R install as
| part of the installation. R lives in the subdirectory within the
| project, and so is insulated from the user's misadventures with the
| system install.
|
| this all works great, and i have it running on a number of computers,
| and quite a number of people are using the software without complaint.
| it works on clean installs of OS X 10.8, 10.9, and all the [recent and
| reasonable] windows.
|
| however, i've received a bug report from someone, complaining of
| crashes with exit code 1. there are no error messages being generated,

Almost always an issue related to binary mismatch from components. Have them
recompile.

| i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what might be
| going wrong, and what i might do to debug this further. would adding
| printf() statements into RInside be fruitful for example?

As the saying goes:

   "minimally reproducible example, or the bug report doesn't exist"

There is little we can do for you based on your (friendly and detailed yet
inoperational for lack for reproducibility) email.  Check the list archives.
Bug reports like this have come up, but AFAICR always resolved by recompiling
all components with a consistent toolchain.

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org